It might surprise you to hear me say that, since you probably know that our daily “stay fit” program includes lots more than yoga.
I’ve been practicing Hatha yoga (off and on) since the ‘70s, but for most of that time it’s been attending classes once or twice a week. I love attending classes, partly for the social aspects. (I’ve found that the sweetest people attend yoga classes.)
But in the last year we couldn’t attend classes regularly. So we started our own daily program with some big help from my daughter Alita (a professional yoga instructor). Now that it’s a daily habit, we’re feeling and seeing the fantastic benefits.
Here’s what Alita says about yoga:
– you don’t have to be flexible to practice yoga;
– anyone can practice yoga, no matter what age, size, shape or body condition;
– if you can breathe, you can do yoga;
– breathing is the most fundamental part of yoga practice, learning how to breath efficiently and effectively;
– yoga is much more than an exercise, it’s a holistic practice for the body, mind and spirit;
– the word “yoga” means union or literally “to yoke”, thus the practice of yoga is about making a union with yourself through internal connection. In other words, getting to know and love yourself from the inside out;
– beginners should look for classes appropriate for their age and fitness level;
– it’s best to practice with a live teacher but some online classes would be the next best thing;
– a regular yoga practice can help you maintain good health for the body, mind and spirit … and help you live a longer and happier life.
There’s substantial evidence that she knows what she’s talking about. Here’s an article that does a good job of explaining exactly what yoga does for you, and why it works so well. Is Yoga Enough to Keep You Fit?
Inspired to try it? I hope so. It’s a life changer! And it really takes so little time. And if you’re interested in trying an online class, Alita checked it out and recommends this one:
https://www.yogauonline.com/practice-channel ,which is $18/month after a .99 cent trial month.
Thank you Alita. You’re the best!
Best to you,